For the rice pudding:
- 200g pudding or risotto rice
For the compote:
- 150g brambles/blackberries
For the doughnuts:
- Rapeseed oil for deep-frying
To make the rice pudding, place the milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the rice, sugar and condensed milk. Stir together, then place in a large ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for about one hour at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- To make the doughnuts, first you must make the ferment. Warm the milk and add the 5g of yeast and 50g of plain flour, leave this to ferment until nearly doubled in volume.
- To make the dough, place all the ingredients including the ferment in a food mixer with a dough hook and mix until a nice smooth dough is formed. You can mix this by hand if you wish.
- Leave in a cling film-covered bowl in a warm place until doubled in volume. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute, then roll out the dough with a rolling pin until about 3cm thick. Cut out the required size – the smallest size round cutter gives you lovely little bite-size doughnuts. Deep-fry in fresh oil at 160°C until golden brown, remove and drain on kitchen paper, then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- To make the compote, core, peel and chop the apples and place in a saucepan with the cider and sugar. Cover and simmer until the apples start to break up, then add the brambles and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat. This can be served warm or cold.